Problem creating teams

I have a team of students who can’t create a repo for the current assignment. They are getting an error that says “There was a problem creating your team”. Has anybody else seen this?

Hi Zack,

Yes I do face the same problem. No further information at present.

Fred.

PS : I don’t know if you have the same feeling, but the quality is getting more buggy over the last month. Is it a consequence of a difference of culture between Github (previous teams) and Microsoft ?

Some of my students are having the same problem. The assignment is working fine for others. The error message “There was a problem creating your team” doesn’t give us much to go on. If anyone knows a workaround, we’d appreciate hearing about it.

Hey Good Morning,

You probably already are doing these steps. So the steps are not clear, so I will take a shot at it.
Steps to Creating a Project/Team.

  • First, the instructor creates the repository for the project ( must be in the organization’s repository)
  • The instructor creates the team ( Students must except becoming members of the organization)
  • the instructor assigns the team to the project and sets the (team members as admin of their repository)
  • the instructor assigns the repository through the GitHub classroom. ( the students must have excepted the invite to GitHub Classroom.)
  • the students except for the assignment
  • the students clone the GitHub repository (we use GitHub Desktop) to a local machine and create a branch.

I do not know if all of these steps make sense, but this is the process we have been using successfully.

Good luck
Burdett Wilson

Thanks for the help. We are following the endorsed workflow like this. Actually I let the students form their own teams, but aside from that detail, we’re following your instructions.

Update: my students reported that they were able to create a team after choosing a different name. Perhaps the name they wanted was already in use, and this message is unclear about that. Or perhaps some team names are being rejected due to a bug. But anyway, there’s a workaround of using a different team name string.

I suddenly have a cluster of students all running into this problem. One of whom failed to make it work by changing the team name, but instead managed to make it work by starting the whole process over from scratch in a different browser.(?) We’ve had no problems creating teams during this fall term, but it suddenly got worse.

Hi,
The error message could definitely be more explicit.

All team names need to be unique in an organization. That is, as you progress throughout the year and students keep making teams (especially if you have groupes like A,B,C) they will likely use existing names.

Providing students with group naming conventions might help them avoid this problem eg YYYY-SEMESTER-GROUPNAME while we wait for GH to put a better message there.

1 Like

I had a similar problem. The students were able to create the team in the organization “Project Group 15 — Comparative analysis of Enrollment & Spending” but it didn’t show up in the accept assignment page as an existing team. I assume that is when they started having the “There was a problem creating your team” error message because they kept trying the same string.

Note that other teams had no issues. E.g., “Group 02 — El Niño”.

Seeing the same here, and it seems to be a relatively recent thing. I’m doing groups exactly the same way I did last semester without a problem, but I’m getting about half of my students unable to create groups.

What I’ve found though is that the teams are getting created in the organization and the student that created the group is part of that team, even though Classroom says there was a problem creating the team and nobody else is able to see that team to join. I’m able to go in and manually add the other students to that team, create a repo for them, and give the team write access to the repo.

Going through those steps though doesn’t put the repository or team into the list in Classroom. Those students still show as not having accepted the repository.

ETA: This seems to be more of an issue on the last two projects we’ve done, and in both cases they were starting with empty repositories. I don’t recall it being an issue on previous projects where they were given starter code from a template. Thinking next time I may try using an empty repository as a template and see what happens.

Hello!

We just deployed a fix for some of the issues y’all are seeing with teams. We ran into an issue where we weren’t completely deleting team records which was causing a number of different errors for students (resource not found, there was a problem creating your team, etc).

We believe this PR fixed most of these issues, but if you continue to see anything pop up please let me know here - you can @mention me directly - or via Support. The only issue that might occur is that assignments with teams that were created prior to this fix - which went out today - might still see lingering issues.

Thanks for your patience and letting us know when you run into these issues!

Hello!
@ohitsmekatie, the problem still remains.
We don’t have any team name conflicts, but some teams are created wrongly as described above.
It happens with different students on different assignments and I cannot catch any regularity here.
Students tried to create a new team with the workaround of using a different name string, but that leads to the same result.

© 2017 GitHub, Inc.
with by
GitHub Education